Almost a year ago, we did a Sunday Evening Sermon on the Doctrine of the Trinity. Because of the importance of this topic, we have decided to post the outline for this sermon on this page. Please review as needed and ask us if you have any questions!
The Doctrine of the Trinity
Why does this matter?
1) We want to know and worship the True God, not a false God. (2 Cor. 11:3-4)
2) We are commanded to defend the faith, which implies we first understand the faith. (Jude 3)
Within the one Being that is God, there exists eternally three coequal persons, namely, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. – James White, the Forgotten Trinity
Three Foundations for understanding the Trinity….
- There is only One God. (Deut. 6:4, Isaiah 43:10, 44:6)
- There are three distinct Person who are called God
- The Father is God (Matthew 6:9)
- Jesus is God (Isaiah 9:6, Micah 5:2, John 8:58, John 20:28, Titus 2:13, 2 Peter 1:1)
- The Holy Spirit is God (Acts 5:3-4, 2 Corinthians 3:16-18, Hebrews 9:14)
- Notice, lastly, Matthew 28:19- Singular Godhead, three persons
- These three Persons are co-equal, and co-eternal. (John 1:1, 17:5, Hebrews 9:14)
“Most illustrations used to explain the Trinity are woefully inadequate… It is better to simply affirm the oneness and Threeness of God without explanation or illustration than to give an explanation or illustration that is misleading or even heretical.” – Paul Washer, One True God, pg. 16
Three Distortions of the Trinity…
- Modalism– God exists in modes, but not as three distinct persons.
(ex. Brother, Father Son, or Water, Ice, Vaper)
Foundation #3 answers this.
Problem text: Matthew 3:13-17, John 8:17-18
- Arianism– One eternal God, but Jesus and the Spirit are creations of God
Foundation # 2 answers this
Problem Text: John 17:5, Colossians 1:16-17
- Polytheism (Tritheism): Three Gods
Foundation #1 answers this.
–The Trinity has implications on how we view love (1 John 4:8)
-The Trinity has implications on how we worship (John 4:24, Matthew 28:19)
-The Trinity has implications on how we understand the Gospel (Ephesians 1:3-14)
Each person of the Godhead plays a different role in our salvation
– Trinitarian delight spills over in the Gospel (John 10:14-15)
Athenasian Creed (6th Century)
James White Presentation/Book “The Forgotten Trinity”
Jeff Durbin on the Trinity
Dr. R.C. Sproul, “What is the Trinity?”
Expert: Bruce Ware from SBTS